Commonly known as Fuel Assistance, LIHEAP provides eligible households with help in paying a portion of winter bills.
- Homeowners and renters, including households whose cost of heat is included in the rent, can apply online or at the agency in their area.
- Eligibility is based on household size and the gross annual income of every household member, 18 years of age or older.
- Household income cannot exceed 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.
- First time LIHEAP applicants must apply in person at the fuel assistance agency in their area.
- Customers must apply each year.
- Applications are mailed to the households after the first year.